The Battlefield Today
Photo: The Fallen Timbers Monument, part of Side Cut Metropark, is connected to the Fallen Timbers Battlefield by a bike/pedestrian bridge over US 24. The monument is open daily, but the Battlefield park is not yet open to the public.
The Fallen Timbers Battlefield is both historical and new. It was the site of a famous and important event in American history. Yet the exact location where the 1794 battle between General Anthony Wayne�s army and a confederacy of American Indian tribes took place was discovered more than 200 years later.
The Battle of Fallen Timbers was one of four major engagements during the �Indian Wars� period of 1790-1795 and is regarded as one of the most significant US military actions in the period between the Revolution and the War of 1812.
Preserving the Fallen Timbers Battlefield is important to commemorate and learn about military and social events that took place in the Maumee Valley that led directly to Ohio becoming a state.
For more than 70 years, a monument to the battle has stood on a bluff overlooking the Maumee River. Many speculated that the battle took place on the high spot and the floodplain below. But G. Michael Pratt, an anthropologist and faculty member at Heidelberg College, theorized that the battle occurred about a quarter-mile away.
In 1995, Pratt conducted the first archaeological survey in a farm field at the northwest corner of the intersection of US 24 and US 23/I-475 in Maumee, Ohio. A significant number of artifacts dating to the late 1700s supported his theory, and subsequent surveys revealed additional evidence that intense fighting took place on the site.
At the same time, a group of citizens called the Fallen Timbers Battlefield Preservation Commission organized to advocate for the battlefield�s protection.
In 2000, Metroparks of the Toledo area reached an agreement to buy a 187-acre site considered to be a key portion of the battlefield site.
The same year, Congress established the Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site and designated it as an Affiliated Unit of the National Park Service.
The purposes of Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site, according to the legislation, is to recognize, preserve and interpret U.S. military history and Native American culture between 1794 and 1813, and to create links between three separate historic places:
-The 185-acre Fallen Timbers Battlefield site, the battleground where General Wayne and the native confederacy led by Shawnee Chief Tecumseh, Little Turtle and Blue Jacket, fought the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794. The battle secured Ohio and the Northwest Territory for U.S. settlement.
-Fort Miamis, which was occupied by General Anthony Wayne�s legion from 1796 to 1798 and later was the site of a battle in the War of 1812.
-And the Fallen Timbers Monument, which memorializes the battle and the combatants: General Wayne, the American Indians and the Kentucky Militia.
Metroparks completed buying the property with local, state and federal funds in the fall of 2001. Immediately, The Fallen Timbers Advisory Commission was formed to plan the future of the historic site. The commission has submitted a draft General Management Plan to the National Park Service.
Fallen Timbers Battlefield Advisory Commission:
- American Indian Intertribal Association
- City of Maumee
- Fallen Timbers Battlefield Preservation Commission
- Heidelberg College
- Maumee Valley Heritage Corridor
- Lucas County Maumee Valley Historical Society
- Ohio Historical Society
- National Park Service
- Metroparks of the Toledo Area