Metroparks has partnered with the City of Sylvania and Friends of the Lathrop House to renovate a home that once housed fleeing slaves using the Underground Railroad to make their way to freedom in Canada.
The house is located at the city's Harroun Park on Main Street.
NOW OPEN FOR TOURS
HOURS: Open from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays (closed in December)
Groups may arrange for tours at other times. For reservations, call 419-882-8653.
Educational programs for schools beginning February 2015.
>FRIENDS OF THE LATHROP HOUSE
About The Lathrop House
The Lathrop House and the Underground Railroad in Northwest Ohio
Researched and Written by Patrick T. Johnston, ... (more)
The House And Restoration
In the 1830s, Toledo merchant Elkanah Briggs came to Sylvania and purchased a parcel of land on Maumee Road (now S. Main Street) from Elijah ... (more)
Lucian B. Lathrop
Lucian Bonaparte Lathrop was born in Royalton, Vermont on July 18, 1800. He lived there with his parents John and Azubah, until he married Pamelia ... (more)